Placing circularity and impact at the core of Australia’s leading waste management company’s sustainability reporting.
Learn more about this project
Cleanaway is Australia’s leading waste management company that sees the value and life in all resources. With a new CEO who understands the central role sustainability will play in the company’s future success, Cleanaway commissioned Ellis Jones to develop a sustainability report that places circularity and impact at the core, and pivots the brand and strategy to drive growth, reputation and continued innovation in the waste management sector.
With a focus on creating an engaging, elevated and accessible sustainability report that highlights Cleanaway’s mission of making a sustainable future possible, Ellis Jones brought its multidisciplinary approach to bear in collaboration with Cleanaway’s Sustainability Team to:
- Address how sustainability is a strategic platform for Cleanaway by working with sustainability, brand and marketing employees to understand the relationship between company strategy, brand identity and value proposition.
- Develop an overarching narrative that uses the shared value lens to position the sustainability report relative to the business trajectory and the needs of customers, employees and stakeholders.
- Review and edit report content to help realise Cleanaway’s story of impact and value creation.
- Develop two compelling creative concepts for the sustainability report that bring to life Cleanaway’s mission (ensuring alignment to Cleanaway’s 2022 annual report).
- Identify opportunities for how reporting artefacts can tell a bigger story through and post-reporting.
The project contributed to various successful outcomes for Cleanaway, including:
- Delivering a sustainability report that communicates and celebrates Cleanaway’s sustainability progress through unifying a powerful narrative alongside inspiring creative and data visualisations.
- Evolving the Cleanaway visual language to better align with purpose and sustainability activities.
- Setting a new standard in interactive and digital reporting across all areas of Cleanaway’s business.
- Developing assets that will have a life through marketing and communications activity and channels – taking the sustainability narrative further.
Importantly, the sustainability report has engaged customers, employees and stakeholders across Cleanaway’s network and received praise from the waste management sector. This work was acknowledged as Top 2 ASX100 Company for Sustainability Reporting.
View the sustainability report here.