Helping ambitious social enterprises work with Optus to achieve their potential and create shared value.
Learn more about this project
Optus is on a journey towards embedding sustainability measures across the organisation by leveraging unique skills, resources, and expertise to create a positive impact. In line with this approach, Optus has nurtured the Future Makers program, an accelerator and capacity building program for social entrepreneurs that are harnessing the power of technology for good.
Ellis Jones worked with the Shared Value Project to support Optus to create opportunities for shared value and business innovation by aligning Future Makers’ business propositions with the needs of Optus. This involved:
- Interviewing senior leaders across Optus to understand business priorities and opportunities to create shared value
- Advising the Optus sustainability team on opportunities to align the Future Makers’ program with the broader business to create shared value
- Coaching a handpicked group of Future Makers (Virtual Psychologist, CommSync, What’s Right, Equal Reality, Xceptional) – providing Future Makers with the confidence, tools and techniques to refine their pitches (strategically, visually and presentation-wise) to meet the needs of Optus as a business.
Ellis Jones also supported the Shared Value Project to use the insights to develop and facilitate an internal workshop with key business leaders and Future Makers participants.
Key outcomes from the project include:
- Identification of potential areas for shared value-based innovation
- Identification of relevant financial and social metrics
- Future Makers have a clearer understanding of Optus’ business needs and were able to pitch effectively to specific business units
- Key internal stakeholders are now able to speak articulately about the Future Makers program and to promote this internally and externally
The Future Makers workshop ultimately built strong internal awareness and buy-in for the program. Importantly, it led to further meetings between Future Makers and specific business units to explore opportunities to work together.